Sunday, April 22, 2007

Back to building a kayak

The building of my coho continues on, through the storm, power outages, and taxes. I have now fiberglassed the outside of the hull and am ready to assemble the deck.


First I trim off the excess fiberglass cloth from the hull. Then the hull is turned right side up and the pieces that form the deck are wired together.

The deck panels are wired together.

A
bout this time I am beginning to wonder about the estimated 70 hours that it is supposed to take to build this boat. The simple directions call to align the deck panels to the hull panels and tape in place. It took hours. I don't know if it was my need for perfection, the fact these panels are several years warped, I don't know, but hours later, and with lots of extra wires, pins and yards of tape.....and clamps.....



IT LOOKS LIKE A KAYAK!


tape, pins, wire, and clamps


Next, epoxy is filled in the seams. The green is tape to keep the deck from getting messy. I have to admit I am getting kind of fond of green on this boat. I am still thinking of painting the hull, maybe orange, maybe a green stripe....

2 comments:

Michael Daugherty said...

Come-on- post some more pictures. I don't want to have to go all the way downstairs to see how the boat is coming along.

Michael

julie said...

Wooo hooo! That boat is looking great! Congratulations!

Julie